Collection of personal information
- What kinds of personal information do we collect and hold?
The kinds of personal information that we may collect and hold includes names, contact details, property details, and other information you voluntarily provide to us, or we collect in our direct dealings with you, in order to perform our business functions and activities.
- How do we collect and hold personal information?
We usually collect personal information directly from the relevant individual. We may collect your personal information when you communicate with us, such as when you:
- make inquiries about us, our homes or contact us for any other reason so that we can process, deal with and respond to your queries or other issues including any complaints; or
- contact, register with us, post to, like or follow any of our social media channels, pages, blogs; or
- use or register on our website; or
- build a home from us; or
- register for and attend at events; or
- subscribe to a newsletter, fill out a form or survey, enter or participate in any competitions or promotions.
Collection of personal information on our website or our social media channels will either be made clear from the context (e.g. request to complete information fields) or will state to the user that personal information is being collected.
In addition, we may collect information through click tracking (in relation to your use of our website including the content you access and any services you utilise) and through log files or cookies (as further detailed below).
- What happens if you do not provide your personal information to us?
If you do not provide personal information that we request in connection with our activities, we may not be able to contact you with the build of interest or respond and assist in the manner required.
- Why do we collect, use, hold and disclose your personal information?
We collect, use, hold and disclose your personal information for the purposes of conducting our functions and business activities, including:
- names and contact details, to provide details on our services to our customers and information relating to our developments, properties and services;
- names and contact details, to record information regarding services purchased from us and to provide further services to you, such as details of product warranties and guarantees;
- names, contact details, transaction and experience information such as information on your purchase transactions and our communications with you, to assist in providing better products and services to you by tailoring them to meet your needs, to keep our websites and other online presence relevant and of interest to users, for direct marketing including promotions, newsletters and competitions, to show you advertising and information that is most relevant to you and your interests, and to carry out analysis of market activity, market research and surveys;
- for verification of your identity for use of our website;
- to provide you with further information about us or other websites or goods or services offered by us or our related companies or which we consider may be of interest to you; and
- any other purpose which is stated to you at the time of collection or that you otherwise authorise.
We track traffic patterns throughout the URL (website) registered to us.
We use “cookies” on our website. A “cookie” is a small amount of information which is transferred to the hard drive of your computer and which can identify your web browser, but not you. If you want, you can disable your web browser from accepting cookies. If you do so, you can still access our website, but not all services may be available.
We may automatically collect general statistical information on our website about visitors to our website, such as IP addresses, browsers used, dates visited, pages visited and number of visitors. However, such information does not refer to individuals by name or their contact details. We use this data in aggregate to improve our website. We may provide such aggregated data to third parties, but in so doing, we do not provide identifiable personal information without the individual’s consent.
- Collection from third parties
In some instances, we may collect personal information about individuals from third parties, such as property listing aggregator websites, body corporates or other residents, where individuals have made inquiries about our products to such third parties. In such circumstance we are relying on the third party to have obtained the individual’s consent in the correct manner in order to share that with us. We may also obtain personal information from publicly available resources.
- Will we disclose personal information to anyone else?
We may disclose personal information to:
- our related companies and affiliates;
- third party contractors and providers of goods and services, such as courier and delivery companies, marketing and promotion companies, and business support services like storage and handling of documents and data, and information technology service providers;
- market research companies who undertake customer surveys for us;
- insurance companies;
- professional service firms providing services to us, such as legal, marketing or accountancy services;
- as required by law, such as to regulatory agencies; and
- any other recipient which is notified to you at the time of collection or that you otherwise authorise.
We may also provide your information to others, if required or permitted by law, in accordance with the Principles and the Privacy Act.
Do we disclose personal information overseas?
We may disclose your personal information outside the country of collection.
We share personal information outside the country of collection:
- where we have made a business decision to store our data with a trusted service provider who is in the business of providing data storage and processing services. These services commonly involve diverse geographic locations which may change from time to time, including as a result of change of provider, changes in data protection practices and processing efficiency. Where these services are used by us, it is not always practical for us to notify you of which country your personal information may be located in;
- for disclosures between our group companies. Our main business location is in New Zealand; and
- when our business which collected your personal information is in a different country to your location.
You consent to the usage, provision and acceptance of any information, including our latest news or notices, in electronic form in accordance with all applicable legislation.
Unsubscribing from our marketing materials
- Unsubscribing from email lists
When we send commercial electronic messages (e.g. for marketing or promotional purposes), our message will contain instructions on how you may unsubscribe.
- Unsubscribing from social media channels
Our social media channels provide instructions as to how you can unsubscribe from the relevant social media channel or page.
- Unsubscribing from hard copy promotional materials
When we send you hard copy promotional materials, such materials will include instructions on how you may unsubscribe from receiving such materials.
Advertising and third-party links:
Dealing with us anonymously or using a pseudonym
You may deal with us on an anonymous basis or by using a pseudonym when making inquiries through our website or social media channels, or when you make general inquiries by telephone and do not require a further response from us. However, we may need certain contact details from you to respond to your enquiry.
Generally, we will require your personal information to transact with you.
Storage, Access, Correction and Removal of your Personal Information
Any personal information that you provide to us will be collected and held by or on behalf of us. Our physical address is 10A Westech Place, Glen Eden, Auckland 0602. Under the applicable privacy law, you have rights of access to or correction of your personal information. You can do so at any time by contacting the Privacy Officer by email at email@example.com, or to the ‘Privacy Officer’, 3C Homes, PO Box 151-248, New Lynn, Auckland 0640.
Before we provide you with access to your personal information we may require some proof of identity. We may charge a reasonable fee for giving access to your personal information if your request requires substantial effort on our part.
In accordance with the Privacy Act, if we do not agree to:
- provide you with access to your personal information or to amend or annotate the information we hold about you, you may seek a review of our decision; or
- make the requested changes to your personal information, you may make a statement about the requested changes and we will attach this request to your record.
“Principles” is a reference to the privacy principles under the Privacy Act.
“Privacy Act” is a reference to the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993, and any other applicable privacy laws in New Zealand.
You can send written complaints about a breach of the Principles or the Privacy Act 1993 in relation to your personal information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the ‘Privacy Officer’, 3C Homes, PO Box 151-248, New Lynn, Auckland 0640. Complaints will be reviewed by our Privacy Officer and a response will usually be provided within 30 days of receipt of the complaint.
If you believe that your complaint has not been satisfactorily addressed by us, after following the procedure set out above, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner (OPC). The OPC’s contact details are here.
*As amended June 2020